Tuesday 7 February 2023

Sermon 19th February 2023 - Transfiguration - Text Matthew 17:1-9

 Sermon 19th February 2023 - Transfiguration

Text Matthew 17:1-9

At lunch times I like to go home and while I’m eating my lunch I usually watch an episode of one of my favourite TV shows and it’s usually a law based show – often one of the Law and Order episodes or sometimes for a bit of a chuckle Judge Judy. What I find is that I often fall asleep – some people call it a “nanny-nap” and I awake just before the end of the show and they’ve convicted and sentenced the guilty party. So I then rewind to the part I last remembered and start watching again. But now I know how it’s going to end. The suspense has gone. It doesn’t matter if the crime seems unsolvable or if someone’s been kidnapped and held hostage and you’re in a panic if they are going to be released. I’ve seen how it ends.

 

The Transfiguration account today has a similar format. Jesus has taken Peter, James and John up on a mountaintop and while he is there he reveals his glory. He gives them sneak peak of what the end really looks like. Matthew says he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became dazzling white. Why would Jesus do this? It’s the same reasoning as to why God brought St Paul into Heaven to show him all the things waiting for him. In 2 Corinthians chapter 12 we read:

 

I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know—God knows.  And I know that this man was caught up to paradise and heard inexpressible things, things that no one is permitted to tell. So Paul is saying that God brought him into heaven while he was still alive to give him a “sneak-peak” of what is awaiting him. Jesus has prepared Peter,

 

James and John for the horrific scenes they are about to see – Jesus’ arrest, suffering and death. But he wants to assure them that what they are about to see is not the end of the story Likewise for St Paul. Paul will undergo great suffering as he takes the Gospel to the world: I’ve been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. But Paul never gave up because he knew that eternal glory awaited him. That despite the seemingly losing battle he was fighting that the battle had already been won by Christ.

 

And this is what Jesus is reassuring Peter, James and John that there is eternal glory waiting and he gives them just a glimpse of that glory. We too are given a glimpse of that glory every time we gather in worship. As we hear God’s word of forgiveness to assure us of the heavenly destination Paul saw. As we receive a foretaste of the feast to come in Holy Communion and see a brief glimpse of Jesus glory as did Peter, James and John. These are what God gives to us for the very same reason as he did for Peter, James and John and for Paul. So that we do not get disheartened when we journey through this lifetime and all the challenges we face. As we stare into the eyes of suffering and despair Jesus reminds us that the battle has been won and to keep fighting the good fight.

 

Like Martha who was distracted by many things we are invited to sit at Jesus’ feet like Mary for the one thing needful. The glimpses are just that – glimpses. They are a foretaste of what is awaiting. But for now, like Peter, James and John, we must travel back down from the mountain top to the valley of the shadow of death, where we will not be afraid because Jesus, our Good Shepherd is with us – as he promised in our Baptism. Peter, James and John were terrified in their experience. They fell to the ground and were overcome by fear. But Jesus came and touched them, saying, “Get up and do not be afraid.

 

Jesus too comes and assures us that we don’t need to be afraid as he is with us. Like Paul we journey back from our glimpse of paradise to live with our own “thorns in the flesh” but knowing that God’s grace is all we need.

 

On Wednesday we begin again our Lenten journey for this year. It was a journey that Peter did not want to take – never Lord. But Jesus rebukes Satan for putting that fear into Peter – Get behind me Satan. Satan didn’t want Peter, or us, to take that journey because it is a journey that leads to the Cross of Christ where the battle is fought to the end and Jesus comes out victorious. Not immediately to the human eye – just as our daily battles with the world do not see our victory immediately. But as we keep our eyes focused on the cross we will be led further to the empty grave where the victory is seen as Jesus defeats Satan and his only weapon – death. So too, as we journey this valley of the shadow of death, let us keep our eyes on the cross as Jesus leads us beyond his death on the cross to his victorious resurrection from the dead – the full victory of Christ to eternal life.

 

May God bless you as you take this Lenten journey.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment