Monday 6 September 2021

Sermon 12th September 2021 – 16th Sunday after Pentecost Text: Mark 8:27-38 – A very heavy Cross

 Sermon 12th September 2021 – 16th Sunday after Pentecost

Text: Mark 8:27-38 – A very heavy Cross

 

Children love to hear fairy-tales – I think we can still call them that. Most fairy-tales usually start and end the same way –

The beginning - Once upon a time – And the ending – and they lived happily ever after. The story of Jesus is thought by many to also be a human made fairy tale but it doesn’t fit the criteria – or does it?

 

In our Gospel reading it sounds anything but a fairy tale where they live happily ever after: Then Jesus began to teach them that the Son of Man must undergo great suffering, and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests, and the scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again. To us who know the true ending it does end up with not only Jesus living happily ever after but all those who put their faith and trust in him. The problem is how we get there. There is no sleeping beauty woken with a kiss from prince charming. There is no Cinderella with a prince rescuing her from her evil step-mother. This has our hero of the story undergoing great suffering – being rejected and killed.

 

But it’s those last words that strike hope – after three days rise again. But it’s those last words that are difficult to understand. Because to get to that point is literally hell for Jesus. And up to that point – when you were dead, you were dead – end of story. Peter couldn’t get past the suffering and death and rebuked Jesus for putting such a morbid situation before the people. Do you really think people are going to join us if that is what you are forecasting? And after rebuking Peter Jesus puts it to the people - He called the crowd with his disciples, and said to them, “If any want to become my followers, let them deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. Anyone who thinks that being a Christian is about a trouble free and unchallenged life has not understood the life that Jesus placed before us.

 

Now, what we are experiencing at present is not easy. We cannot gather for worship. We cannot gather to receive Holy Communion. I cannot visit you when you are sick. We cannot visit our relatives in nursing care. Our children cannot attend Sunday School, Bible Song, youth group and confirmation. And that is on top of the secular struggles we all face – children cannot attend school with friends in class; we could not visit family to celebrate Father’s Day, many weddings and baptisms on hold – funeral restricted to 10; people not able to attend their workplace and, sadly, in many cases, having no work or pay. But it’s these challenges that will define our faith.

 

We are somewhere like 220 days in lockdown – that’s 30 Sundays we have not been able to attend church. And yet, here we are, still broadcasting with something like 150 views each week on our 2 services – which could take the attendance to over 200 if we consider some households with multiple viewers. That’s around double our usual Sunday attendance.

Now I know it’s not the same but we hope and we pray that this time of carrying our cross will make us stronger – will make us hungrier for our gathered worship – will make us hungrier for the body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ. None of us are enjoying what we are going through and none of us would choose this path in order to increase our viewing audience.

But neither did Peter want the path that Jesus had laid out for discipleship. He tells Peter - Get behind me, Satan! For you are setting your mind not on divine things but on human things.

 

Peter wanted a resurrection without a cross – impossible. And this is what it means to pick up our cross and follow Jesus.

To accept the path that is laid before us even when that path is hard. Just think what Jesus underwent for YOUR salvation.

And remember, he went this path for you – not for himself. He had the glory of Heaven which he gave up when he emptied himself and became a servant – obedient to his Father all the way to the cross – for YOU.

 

For many of us we have never been challenged in our faith like this before. Some who went through world wars and great depressions can remember times where their faith was severely challenged. And while they still had their churches they didn’t not have the safety and comfort that we have of being able to still worship albeit in our homes. But let us also spare a thought for those who do not have the facilities to watch and participate at home with technology.

For many of them things like Songs of Praise and Mass for you at Home and watching St Pauls Box Hill on channel 44 on the TV is the extent of their worship – and again we give thanks for that.

We may have to carry our crosses a bit longer yet and it gets heavy, as it did for Jesus who not only had to carry his own cross to his death but had to endure being whipped and humiliated – spat upon and a crown of thorns place on his head.

But he did it all for you. And now he asks you to carry your cross a little longer – although we do not know how much longer. And part of that cross is to continue to support your church in this time and for that I am truly grateful as are our Ministry Staff.

 

We are here only because of your continued generosity with your offerings and your prayers. How easy it would be at this time to hold your offerings for your own needs but you don’t. You continue to support the work of God by supporting his church and that’s a cross that you are carrying – and I thank you. And maybe I haven’t been in touch enough with you.

Maybe I could have rung you or messaged you more and for that I am truly sorry. I do not take my responsibilities lightly and I know that I am accountable to God:

 

I hear what James says with great fear and trepidation: he says, you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness. For all of us make many mistakes. But please be assured that I have not forgotten or neglected you.

I am here for you – I’m not taking holidays. I’m in the office 6 days a week but available 7 days a week, 24 hours. I am your Pastor, I am your Shepherd and I too am bearing an extremely heavy cross knowing that I cannot fully serve you in the way that I wish to. I want to close my message to you by reading our Psalm again.

 

I love the Lord, because he has heard the voice of my supplication, because he has inclined his ear to me whenever I called upon him.

The cords of death entangled me; the grip of the grave took hold of me; I came to grief and sorrow.

Then I called upon the Name of the Lord: "O Lord, I pray you, save my life."

Gracious is the Lord and righteous; our God is full of compassion.

The Lord watches over the innocent; I was brought very low, and he helped me.

Turn again to your rest, O my soul, for the Lord has treated you well.

For you have rescued my life from death, my eyes from tears, and my feet from stumbling.

I will walk in the presence of the Lord in the land of the living.

 

The cross is heavy but let us be Simon of Cyrene to one another and help to carry each other’s cross. Together we can carry our crosses and when that cross seems like it is getting too heavy to bear let us hear Jesus’ invitation, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

No comments:

Post a Comment