Tuesday 17 March 2020

Sermon 22nd March 2020 – 4th Sunday in Lent Text – Psalm 23 – The Lord is my Shepherd – I shall not want.


Sermon 22nd March 2020 – 4th Sunday in Lent
Text – Psalm 23 – The Lord is my Shepherd – I shall not want.

So how are you coping with all that’s going on?
Have you started to panic wondering if you have enough food?
Do you panic when you arrive at the supermarket and see all the empty shelves?
Did you ever think that this could happen in Australia?
Someone said to me during the week, the bushfires brought out the best in humankind as we gave and gave and gave.
This pandemic has brought out the worst in humankind as we take and take and take.
What’s the difference?
The difference is because it affects me.
The bushfires were out there.
We were happy to give to help others in need.
But now that we are in need along with everyone else we don’t think of others because fear and panic has hit home.
We think about how we can protect ourselves.
And that is at the heart of human sinfulness.
And if we think back to the beginning of Lent when Jesus ended his 40 day fast, the Devil tempted him to look away from God and turn rocks into bread.
Look after yourself.
You’re hungry; use your power to do whatever it takes.
Human nature goes into defence mode when threatened – and that is what we are seeing.
And the devil uses our fear to create that irrational response.
Think of Adam and Eve.
Even though God would provide for them with everything they needed – the devil convinced them otherwise and they panicked.
Take a bite – your eyes will be opened and you will be like God.
Then you won’t have to rely on God but be in control yourselves.
Fear creates an irrational response.
We keep getting told – there is enough for everyone if we just go about our normal shopping.
There was never a shortage of toilet paper - just a perceived fear of running out and what I would do if that happened.
I could not have thought of a better response to what is happening than the first verse of our Psalm today.
A few weeks ago we had the most known bible text – John 3:16 – for God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son so that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
And today we hear what that means for us:
The Lord is my Shepherd – I shall not want.
Sheep don’t know where their feed is coming from but they trust their shepherd.
Jesus once gave similar comfort when he said in Matthew 6:
Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?
Are you not much more valuable than they?
Do we stop and think about that?
It’s hard – and we fall into the same temptation as Adam and Eve and Jesus of whether to keep trusting God or take control ourselves.
We see an immediate threat and we panic.
We have this defence mechanism in us that believes we need to protect ourselves.
And that’s what we are seeing all around us.
When the threat does not affect us we are more than happy to open our hearts to help.
And we are extremely generous.
But when it affects me I go into survival mode.
And we have seen on the news the fighting – the stabbing – the cursing – over a roll of toilet paper.
This is what faith is all about.
This is where your faith becomes vital.
I don’t know how long we are going to have to live under these conditions.
I don’t know if the virus has spiked and is levelling out or if it’s going to get worse.
I don’t know if there’s going to be enough supplies to cope with all that’s going on.
I don’t know when the vaccine may become available.
But I do know – The Lord is my Shepherd – I shall not want.
And even though we don’t know what lies ahead, again King David gives us assurance when he says:
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil; for you are with me;
Friends, this is what our faith has been preparing us for.
When times are tough – when we don’t know what the coming days, weeks or months have for us – our faith in God is where our strength comes from.
A couple weeks ago we had Psalm 121 which began:
I lift up my eyes to the mountains— where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth
The Lord is my Shepherd – I shall not want.
It doesn’t say, I lift up my eyes – where does my help come from – a well-stocked supermarket shelf with all the items I need.
No, my help comes from the Lord.
The Lord is my Shepherd – I shall not want.
This is a time when we should be staying strong in our faith.
When we should be looking out for one another and helping one another – supporting one another.
Love your neighbour as yourself.
We live in one of the most prosperous countries in the world and all it took was a fear of running out of toilet paper to cause panic and pushing others out of the way to get that last packet of rice or flour or meat.
Maybe this will be a wakeup call to us – firstly for those who live in these conditions as part of their everyday life in developing countries.
But secondly where our faith is in times of tragedy and uncertainty
Let us continue to use this as an opportunity to strengthen OUR faith but also to help our neighbour in need both in physical terms but also in spiritual terms as we give an answer for the hope that we have.
Lift up your eyes— where does your help come from?
Your help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.
The Lord is our Shepherd – we shall not want.


No comments:

Post a Comment